About our Royalty-Free images and when to use the Extended Licenses
At Dreamstime.com, you can find a large variety of Royalty-Free stock images. Thanks to the continual evolution and diversification of digital technologies, we are able to provide images of a very high quality at a completely convenient price. All the images are carefully scrutinized and selected, in order to make sure that only the best are included and that the range of subjects is extensive.
What Royalty-Free means is that you pay for the image only once and then you can use it as many times as you like, with just a few restrictions. In other words, there are no license fees except the initial fee and no other royalties to be paid except those included in the initial cost.
The high-resolution images that you download may be used to make fine art prints, on websites, TV-programmes, for educational projects, in magazines, newspapers, books or booklets, covers for books, flyers, or any other advertising and promotional materials, in either printed or electronic media, as long as the item in which the image appears does not contradict any of the restrictions below. The list is not exhaustive and if you have any uncertainty regarding the use of the images in a correct way please email support using the help form. For more details on usage please access the terms page.
Web templates, greeting cards or postcards especially designed for sale, similar print-on-demand services, canvas, t-shirts, mugs, mouse pads or any other items incorporating the image in an essential manner, intended to be sold or given for free, are considered redistribution (if the image is used in an essential manner) and may not be created using the Royalty Free license. Instead you will need to use one of our Extended Licenses that grant you extra rights. For Web use, you must not use the image at a width exceeding 800 pixels.
If you use the images for printed materials, the number of copies must not exceed 500,000. You may modify the images in any way required for reproduction, or include them in your own personal creations.
Buying the high-resolution image (purchasing the license) does not transfer the copyright. You may not claim that the image is your own and you may not sell, license for use, or in any way distribute the image for reuse. We recommend that you credit the agency and the photographer when you use an image. By this you benefit the community at Dreamstime.com, of which you are an integral part, and help increase your success as part of the community, which, by growing contributions, gains quantity and quality.
Please note that some images may require you to credit the authors (i.e. some architectural shots). If the description of the image specifies that you must display a copyright line, than you can use the image only if you can provide such credit.
The Royalty-Free license is granted ONLY for the high-resolution, non-watermarked image (the one that is bought using the download button); all the other versions (small watermarked and non-watermarked thumbnails which are visible on the public site) are entirely copyrighted and they can be used only for comp purposes.
Our regular Royalty Free license is a one-person license and can be used only by the account owner or his employee, for the company's own projects or clients and cannot be transmitted to another party. If the image is to be used by more employees, then an Unlimited Extended License (U-EL) is required.
By browsing this site, buying, downloading, uploading an image at Dreamstime.com or using the credits to download the high-resolution image, you acknowledge that you have read and agree to our terms and conditions. Should you have any questions about the potential use of an image from our site, please email support using the contact form.
In order to download high-resolution, non-watermarked images from Dreamstime.com, you must become a Registered User and buy credits or subscribe.
Registration is free and you have the advantage of lower prices per image. Once you are a registered user, you need to order using the Buy Credits link. Each time an image is downloaded, a specific credit amount is automatically deducted from your account.
Depending on the desired usage and type of download, the categories and their end-user prices are as follows:
150% the price of the largest size at which the image is available
Additional format (RAW or vector)
Double the largest size at which the image is available
Downloads using the Extended licenses:
Price for Registered Users
25 credits ~ as low as $19 per image
Increase Maximum Copies
50 credits ~ as low as $38 per image
50 credits ~ as low as $38 per image
50 credits ~ as low as $38 per image
1 year exclusivity
image based as low as $62.5 per image
3 years exclusivity
image based as low as $150 per image
Sell the rights
image based as low as $250 per image
Use the following table to choose the option that best fits your needs. Don't forget that significant discounts are offered for larger packages. Once you hit the Order button you will be directed over a secure connection for credit card processing. You can also use Paypal for the transaction, whether you are already registered with them or not.
Pay per download
Our site uses credits as currency to pay for downloads. Valid for one year to use at any time, perfect for occasional purchases!
Subscriptions allow you to make a certain number of downloads daily. Recommended choice for large amounts of files!
To download high-resolution non-watermarked images you can select either credit packages (pay per download) or subscription plans (monthly-based). Invoices are provided for all your purchases. Credits expire after 12 months while subscriptions are set to expire after a specific period, depending on the plan selected.For a complete list of image prices as well as any update that may apply to your purchase, please check About Our Images page.
All licenses you receive when downloading images are lifetime and perpetual. Using credits, you can download: Royalty Free, Extended licenses and Editorial images as well as JPG/TIFF, vector and RAW formats. Subscriptions do NOT allow Extended license downloads nor TIFF downloads. Purchasing a plan grants you unlimited free access to our free images database.
Remember to check license specifications on About our images and Terms pages to ensure you select the license appropriate for your usage and buy the package/plan that best fits your needs. Unused credits are kept in your account for future downloads for 12 months after purchase date. You can start downloading images once the transaction is registered.
Frequently asked questions
How do I pay for your images?
We provide you with several payment options. You can pay online (PayPal or credit card; all major credit cards are accepted) or use one of our offline payment methods (regular bank check, cashiers check, bank transfer/wire). For any of the offline payment methods, please contact us at 001-615-771-5611 (INTL) or toll free 800-243-1791 (US&Canada) for more details. Make sure you create an account first and have all the payment info ready prior to making the call. Please keep in mind that there is a minimum amount of $99.99 for offline payments.
What are credits?
The credit is our site currency and you use credits to download images. For each image downloaded, a certain number of credits will be deducted from your account, as per the credit price scheme displayed on the image detail page. Unused credits are kept in your account for future use for exactly 12 months from purchase date.
How many images can I download using the 8 credit package? It says up to 8 images but I got less.
The 8 credit package allows you to download a maximum of 8 images if you download images that cost 1 credit each. These would be the level 0 images at the smallest size. Our image prices differ according to the image size and level and they vary between 1 and 19 credits for a maximum size, maximum level file. For a complete list of prices, check the table on the About our images page.
Most of our database is made up of low level, hence low price images. You can set your search to return only low level images by using the Advanced Search - see button under the main menu toolbar. Remember to check the "Save settings" box in order for the search engine to maintain your settings for future searches. This will allow you to always download the lowest priced imaged and make most of the packages you purchase.
How many images can I download each day if I am using a subscription?
Subscriptions allow you to download a certain number of images every day. The maximum number of images you can download daily is 25 or 50. Image levels and sizes do not apply so only one download will be deducted for each image purchase you make. See a complete list of prices here.
What is the difference between subscription packages and credit packages?
Credit packages allow you to download as many images as the package allows with no significant time limitations. The majority of our credit packages offer substantial bonuses and discounts. Furthermore, credit packages allow you to purchase images under the Royalty free license or under Extended Licenses. You have to use the credits in maximum 12 months from their purchase date, but licenses for your downloads are lifetime. Subscriptions on the other hand, are based on a certain number of downloads allowed on a daily basis, up to 25 or 50 images, depending on the selected plan. Although there is a daily limit, you can download any image or size. Considering the high amount of images that you can download, the daily restriction is applied in order to assure an equal split of the consumption throughout the whole subscription period. Please note that subscription packages allow you to purchase images only under the standard Royalty Free license. For more details see pricing table here. Subscriptions are usually required by companies demanding high volume of images daily, while credits provide more flexibility and cover extra usage.
What are levels?
The levels refer to how many times an image has been downloaded. When someone downloads an image, the download will be added to the image's total number of downloads. When the amount of downloads per image reaches a specific number the level of the file is increased, increasing its pricing as well (the number of credits you pay for it). This system gives incentive to other images that are very good (but newer) to be downloaded, encouraging their use. You can use the Advanced Search to search based on the desired price level. Most of the images in the database are level 1 when they are submitted (images submitted in assignments are an exception).
I want to buy a subscription plan. How many images can I download and when does the subscription end?
The subscription plans give you access to a very high discount. The bonus can even exceed 100% in specific cases. Considering the high amount of images that you can download, a daily restriction is applied in order to assure an equal split throughout the whole subscription month. You may download up to 50 images/day, each day. If you used all downloads for one day, come back the next day and continue the download. If you are trying to meet a deadline and need more images for one day, you can buy credits to be used right away. Do not purchase a new subscription plan. You cannot have two subscriptions running simultaneously on the same account. Subscriptions end automatically after their specified period. The end time is not related to the calendar month but to the date at which you made the subscription purchase.
Royalty Free license and how and when you need to escalate to an extended license (usage examples):
Using our regular RF license you CAN:
- illustrate websites - decorate you home or office - create advertising posters, flyers, postcards and any other promotional material of this type - create unique interior designs - illustrate books and CD covers and booklets - illustrate magazine articles and covers or newspapers - create wrappings for different products - create posters for humanitarian campaigns or social campaigns - create company presentations
You CANNOT use the regular RF license to: (and which extended license you can use)
- create postcards, posters, calendars that will be redistributed or resold. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - create Tshirts, mugs, or any other product of this type that will be resold or redistributed. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - create logos or trademarks. In this case you will need to buy the Sell the Rights License that will give you full usage of the image less claiming the image is made by yourself or resell it as an image. - use it to create your own art from it that you will resell or redistributed. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - create puzzles that will be resold or redistributed. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - create web templates that you will sell or redistribute. In this case you will need to buy the Web Usage Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies. - create coloring books that you will sell or redistribute. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - use it in any other essential manner in a product that will be resold or redistributed - images can not be used in candy wrappers. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - create art prints that are resold or redistributed. In this case you will need to buy the Print Extended License that allows you a number of 10 000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage) - surpass 500 000 copies of the same image. In this case you will need to buy the Increase Max Copies Extended License. Extends our regular Royalty Free license to a maximum amount of printed copies of up to 2,500,000 copies.
When you use a Royalty free or Extended License image that involves people be careful about the sensitive subjects, drugs, psychic diseases, handicaps and so on.
If you have doubts about a potential usage always contact the agency first.
What does Royalty Free mean?
- you pay for the image only once and then you can use it as many times as you like - there are no license fees except the initial fee and no other royalties to be paid except those included in the initial cost - the maximum number of copies for printed materials is 500,000 copies. Additional royalties of $0.01 per copy are to be paid if this amount is exceeded - the Royalty-Free license is granted ONLY for the high-resolution, non-watermarked image
- the free files downloaded from the Free Photos section may be used in commercial projects under our limited RF-LL license
- is a one-person license and is given to you as a designer, your employer (client) or any employed persons
What are the Extended Licenses?
They are licenses that extend the rights given with the regular Royalty Free license. Unless otherwise specified the restrictions imposed by the RF license still apply.
- Unlimited Seats (U-EL) - Extends our regular Royalty Free license to an unlimited number of seats within the same organization. It is an additional license to the usage included within the regular Royalty-Free license that awards rights for a single person within the same company. The U-EL license is applied only for the staff of the organization that holds the account.
- Increase Max Copies (I-EL) - extends our regular Royalty Free license to a maximum amount of printed copies of up to 2,500,000 copies. - Web Usage (W-EL) - electronic Items for Resale: this license includes the right to use the photos for webtemplates that are sold to more customers, screensavers, e-cards, powerpoint presentations or as wallpapers on cell phones. Maximum number of electronical items is 10,000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage). If this amount is exceeded you need to acquire this license once again. The new license will provide you with the standard amount of copies. - Print Usage (P-EL) - Physical Items for Resale: includes the right to use the photos for t-shirts, postcards, greeting cards, mugs, mousepads, posters, calendars, framed artwork that is to be sold to other customers for a maximum amount of 10,000 copies (applies as a total of each type of usage). If this amount is exceeded you need to acquire this license once again. The new license will provide you with the standard amount of copies. - Sell the Rights (SR-EL) - this license represents a full ownership of the downloaded image. The buyer can use it exclusively (exclusivity applies from the moment that the file was downloaded using this license), and include it in any type of design with just a few restrictions: sensitive subjects may still apply and the buyer may not claim that the file was created by him nor resell it as a photo. The agency will disable the image immediately after the buyer acquired this license. The photographer is required to disable the file permanently from all other places where he may sell it, as soon as possible after the sale occured, but no longer than 72 hours. The photographer acknowledge and agrees to provide the buyer with full ownership for the file retrieved using the SR-EL license.