Back of Chiesa di Santa Maria alla Fontana in Milan, built in 1508. Traditionally attributed to Leonardo da Vinci it was designed however by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo. It is a beautiful church in the newly renovated Isola district, one of Milan coolest spots. The name (alla Fontana) recalls an interesting tradition that the church was commissioned by Charles II d'Amboise, the French governor of the city, who was allegedly healed by a spring on the site of the future church in 1507. In ancient times the water produced from an underground spring at the base of the shrine was considered miraculous and especially suitable for treating disorders such as arthritis and osteo-articular arthritis. Unfortunately, in the XIX century, because of the burning of a nearby bitumen factory, the aquifer was polluted and the original fountain was closed. .