Editorial image. Not to be used in commercial designs and/or advertisements. Click here for terms and conditions.
Originally called simply The Admiralty, this image shows what is now referred to popularly as the Old Admiralty and officially as the Ripley Building.
It is a three storey U-shaped brick building completed in 1726. Alexander Pope implied the architecture is rather dull, lacking either the vigour of the baroque style which was fading from fashion at the time, or the austere grandeur of the Palladian style which was just coming into vogue.
Nowadays the Ripley Building is allocated to the Cabinet Office.