Wonderful palace in Wilanow, Warsaw, Poland. It was built for the Polish king John III Sobieski in the last quarter of the 17th century. Although the original palace was badly damaged by the Germans during World War II, it escaped demolition after the 1944 Warsaw Uprising because it was not in the City of Warsaw, but rather on the outskirts, at one end of the Royal Route. After the war, the palace was renovated, and most of the collection stolen by Germans was repatriated. In 1962 it was reopened to the public.