Bruneck or Brunico is a town in the north of Italy, first mentioned on 23 February 1256. The town walls and moat were completed in 1336. Soon thereafter, rows of houses were built outside the eastern gate. These led to the small Church of Our Lady, today's Church of the Assumption of Mary. Adjacent to this church a beautiful, well maintained churchyard.