The imposing building in the centre of Brasov was built during the 14-15th century. The construction started in 1383. The proportions of the Gothic Church laied out on the construction plan were huge: 89m long, 38m wide and 42m high. Of the two towers planned, only one was built, a 65m high one. In 1421 when the construction work was nearing its end, Turkish raids caused extensive damage to the church as well.