Bridge Houses in Germany, Bad Kreuznach
HousesThe bridge houses, built from 1480 onwards, are an architectural delicacy and symbol of Bad Kreuznach. These half-timbered houses which were built on the pillars of the old Nahe bridge (around 1300) form the centuries old silhouette and are the connection between the old and new town. The most impressive view of the bridge houses is from the Geißenbrücke (bridge) over the mill pond next to St. Paul’s church. The characteristic method of construction is easily recognisable from here. The parts of the houses jutting out are supported by wooden buttresses which means the houses are virtually unaffected by flooding. A cannon ball is mounted in front of one of the bridge houses which is reputed to be from the bombardment by Swedish troops during the Thirty Years’ War.