The Fagaras Fortress was initially built of wood, and in 1539 it was partially reconstructed. After reconstruction, Transylvanian noblemen and princes such as Baltazar Bathori, Csaki Istvan, Bethlen Gabor, but also Wallachian ruling prince Michael the Brave, owned the fortress. The present-day shape of the fortress dates back to prince Bethlen Gabor’s reign. In the 20th century, Făgăraş's castle was used as a stronghold by the Communist State of Romania. During the 1950s it was a prison for opponents and dissidents. After the fall of the Communist State in 1989, the castle has been restored and is currently used as a museum and library.