View of Peles Castle in one misty morning. Full color picture.
In 1873, Prince Carol of Hohenzollern (who come to Romania’s throne in 1866) started the building of he’s Castle – Peles Castle near Sinaia. Design mainly by architect Johannes Schultz it has been inaugurated in 1883, but the present day shape dates back to 1914, modifications brought in by another architect: Karel Liman. Characteristic features of the external architecture, specific to German neo-Renaissance style are vertical and slim sharp profiles, irregular shapes, fragmented composition of the facades, asymmetry of the corps, abundance of carved wood and decorative elements. The interior is also dominated by elements of German neo-Renaissance but are combined various other styles, resumption of the Italian, English Renaissance, of the German Baroque style, the rococo, Hispania – Moorish and Turkish styles etc. The abundant collection of antiques from all over the world in top condition which are housed here makes from this Castle one of the most important tourist attraction of Romania.