Preparations for the construction of one of the largest orthodox churches in the world started way back in 1894. The church is being built at the place where in 1594 Sinnan Pasha had the holy relics of St. Sava burned at the stake, after he had them brought over from the Mileseva Monastery. After two public competitions, the design authored by architects Bogdan Nestorovic and Aleksandar Deroko was approved in 1926. Construction works were interrupted with the bombing of Belgrade at the beginning of World War II. They were continued after a very long pause, in 1985. .