Fort El Morro (Castillo San Felipe del Morro) in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Fort San Felipe del Morro is a sixteenth-century citadel which lies on the northwestern-most point of the islet of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Named in honor of King Philip II of Spain, the fort, also referred to as El Morro or promontory, was designed to guard the entrance to San Juan bay, and defend the city of San Juan from seaborne enemies.
The construction of the Fort San Felipe del Morro begun 1539 when King Charles V of Spain authorized its construction, (completed in 1589)
The fort is also known for its bartizan or guerite , an overhanging, wall-mounted turret projecting from the walls.