This lovely square is Palermo's most famous. Its beautiful but controversial fountain, originally intended for a Tuscan villa, is bedecked with nude statues and mythological monsters -- thus, it was called Fontana della Vergogna, or Fountain of Shame, by outraged churchgoers. San Giuseppe dei Teatini is the church directly to the west; the eastern end of the square is flanked by Chiesa Santa Catarina. On the south axis stands Palazzo Pretorio, the city hall. Note the plaque on the front of the building commemorating Garibaldi's 1860 triumph, ending the Bourbon reign in Sicily.