Editorial image. Not to be used in commercial designs and/or advertisements. Click here for terms and conditions.
Originally built in 1792 as the centre-piece of the facade of Robert and James Adam's Assembly Rooms which once stood in Ingram Street in Glasgow, the McLennan Arch was reconstructed at the northeast end of Greendyke Street, in the Barras district of the city, by John Carrick in 1892, when the Assembly Rooms were demolished. The arch bears the inscription Presented to his fellow citizens by Bailie James McLennan MP, who had given the money to permit it to be moved.
Following subsidence in the vicinity, the arch was moved to its present site, opposite the High Court on Glasgow Green, in 1922. The Saltmarket entrance.