The building of the church in the Bolgarszeg suburb started in 1495 with the support of Vlad Calugaru, ruler of Muntenia. It was built on the place of an older church from 1292. The Orthodox Church and the adjecent school were the main intellectual and cultural support of the Romanians. It had an influence an all teritories inhabited by Romanians. Especially deacon Coresi’s work, who printed the first ecclesiastical books in Romanian.