A stone carving of the head of St. Peter holding a key with a cross. The Chapel Royal (Irish: Séipéal Ríoga) in Dublin Castle was the official Anglican chapel of the Household of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from mediæval times until the creation of the Irish Free State in 1922. Designed by Francis Johnston (1760-1829), the foremost architect working in Ireland in the early 19th century, and architect to the Board of Works, the chapel contains one of the finest Gothic revival interiors in Ireland. The exterior is clad in a thin layer of limestone, and features many carved heads of which this is one. (In black and white.).