You have to login first in order to be able to post messages.
Click here to login or register if you are a new user.


Page:
1
Showing posts 1 - 12 of 12

How Big Is 3 MP?

Author Message
Craftmans
13 posts
Message posted at 12/31/2008, 15:16:26 PM by Craftmans
I'm sorry this sounds ignorant, but I really don't know how to make sure my work that I submit is at least 3 MPs.



Using PSP 8 I've submitted my first illustration which is a 300 dpi image at a size of 1000 x 1000 pixels, but get an error message saying my image is not the right size. If someone is willing to inform me what and how I can recreate my illustrations to be at least 3 Megapixels within PSP 8 I'd truly be grateful.



Thanks


Uploaded files:51 | Total Sales: 63
Diomedes66
622 posts
79
Message posted at 12/31/2008, 15:25:06 PM by Diomedes66
If you multiply the length by the width in pixels then divide by 1,000,000 you will get megapixels.



i.e. 1000 x 1000 = 1,000,000 divided by 1,000,000 = 1 Megapixel



Regards,



Paul

Nikon D300, Nikon D200, Mamiya RB67, Pentax 6x7, Omega 4 x 5...

Uploaded files:6674 | Total Sales: 14565
Craftmans
13 posts
Message edited at 12/31/2008, 15:36:36 PM by Craftmans

Originally posted by Diomedes66:
Quoted Message: If you multiply the length by the width in pixels then divide by 1,000,000 you will get megapixels.



i.e. 1000 x 1000 = 1,000,000 divided by 1,000,000 = 1 Megapixel



Regards,



Paul





Thanks so much for the quick reply, Paul!



So, if I'm understanding this right, I would then want to increase the size I'm using to at least a 3000 x 3000 pixels within PSP?



I am not a photographer so most of what I was hoping to find in a search through the forums here have reference to this particular medium.


Uploaded files:51 | Total Sales: 63
Kenneystudios
1408 posts
65
Message edited at 12/31/2008, 15:37:50 PM by Kenneystudios
3000 x 3000 would be 9 megapixels. The minimum would be 1750 x 1740.



Megapixel Calculator
Canon Rebel 600D T3i Photoshop CS5 Canon Rebel 30D Sony C...

Uploaded files:2299 | Total Sales: 5313
Craftmans
13 posts
Message posted at 12/31/2008, 15:42:19 PM by Craftmans

Originally posted by Kenneystudios:
Quoted Message: 3000 x 3000 would be 9 megapixels. The minimum would be 1750 x 1740.



Megapixel Calculator




This is very handy, thanks for this MP Calculator link!

Appreciate the quick help to both of you.





Uploaded files:51 | Total Sales: 63
Neddog
306 posts
Message posted at 12/31/2008, 21:26:22 PM by Neddog
Don't forget to upload a vector version of the illustration too. ;)
Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ...

Uploaded files:35 | Total Sales: 32
Craftmans
13 posts
Message posted at 01/01/2009, 13:07:31 PM by Craftmans

Originally posted by Neddog:
Quoted Message: Don't forget to upload a vector version of the illustration too. ;)




Hi Neddog, and thanks for your input too.



I have never worked with Vector (shame-faced) but always in PNG or JPG.

Seeing that I can only use my JPGs here I really wouldn't know what or how to create a Vector of my creations. I think I've got a lot to learn... heh.



Any suggestions as to where I can learn about Vector and the process of creating this additional file for my submissions?



Thanks!


Uploaded files:51 | Total Sales: 63
Neddog
306 posts
Message edited at 01/04/2009, 23:56:21 PM by Neddog

Originally posted by Craftmans:
Quoted Message: Hi Neddog, and thanks for your input too.



I have never worked with Vector (shame-faced) but always in PNG or JPG.

Seeing that I can only use my JPGs here I really wouldn't know what or how to create a Vector of my creations. I think I've got a lot to learn... heh.



Any suggestions as to where I can learn about Vector and the process of creating this additional file for my submissions?



Thanks!




No, no... You don't want to create vector art as an additional file format, you want to create your illustrations in vector format to start. The JPGs you upload here are the ones that should be rasterized off the vector art.



If you weren't using vector format, then how were you thinking of resizing your artwork? You can't just upsample a digital painting any more than you can upsample a photograph. They're both raster images, and the size you create them at is the largest size they can be without degradation of the image.



So if your drawings weren't 3MP to begin with, you're going to have to redraw them (unless of course it's just a tiny wee bit under). If they were vector art to begin with, you would just resize them and save them out at a larger size, cut and dry.



As far as learning how to create vector art... If you've never done it before, don't think it's something you can just pick up and start submitting stock from. It's a completely different form of drawing than just painting with a tablet. Maybe try learning Adobe Illustrator through Total Training's DVDs or Adobe's Classroom in a Book.
Olympus E-3 | Olympus E-PL2 PEN | Olympus E-PM1 PEN | Zuiko ...

Uploaded files:35 | Total Sales: 32
Craftmans
13 posts
Message posted at 01/20/2009, 20:23:24 PM by Craftmans

Originally posted by Neddog:
Quoted Message: As far as learning how to create vector art... If you've never done it before, don't think it's something you can just pick up and start submitting stock from. It's a completely different form of drawing than just painting with a tablet. Maybe try learning Adobe Illustrator through Total Training's DVDs or Adobe's Classroom in a Book.




Thanks, Neddog. I think I'll pass on learning something new right now, but I will keep this program in mind. When I am feeing more adventurous I just might want to explore a new way of creating digital art :)



Uploaded files:51 | Total Sales: 63
Message posted at 03/10/2013, 18:06:42 PM by Jonathankim1999
Hey um... I uploaded a file recently that was 3,000x3,000 pixels, and dreamstime rejected it because it was "under 3MP in size." Why? Its 9MP!


Uploaded files:0 | Total Sales: 0
Red
1625 posts
Message posted at 03/11/2013, 07:07:06 AM by Red
Surely you know that no one other than Support can answer that question. We cannot guess and rejection problems which are not discussed on the forum can only be answered by them. Contact Support with your image ID and you will get an answer..


Uploaded files:212 | Total Sales: 1558
Janceluch
200 posts
78
Message posted at 03/12/2013, 03:32:16 AM by Janceluch

Originally posted by Jonathankim1999:
Quoted Message: Hey um... I uploaded a file recently that was 3,000x3,000 pixels, and dreamstime rejected it because it was "under 3MP in size." Why? Its 9MP!


Just guessing, but when you crop your illustration tight (- no canvas around) - how big would the illustration be ( X x Y pixels)?
A pair of eyes, one regular-sized brain, and some stuff for ...

Uploaded files:52 | Total Sales: 173
Page:
1
Showing posts 1 - 12 of 12
Current Server Time: 07/12/2014, 23:33:52 PM