10 odd facts about Internet's favorite pet, the cat
They've been at odds with our other favorite pet, the dog, for such a long time that no one even remembers how, why and when it started but we love them nonetheless.
Here are some fun and weird facts you might or might not have known about our little meowing, furry friends.
1. A cat can’t climb head first down a tree simply because every claw on a cat’s paw points the same way hence they must literally go backwards. Now you know why you have to call the firefighter to get your cared faced moggy down from that tall tree in the backyard, it's not his fault, it's nature.
2. A cat's kidneys can filter seawater. This means that while you can certainly not drink salt water to hydrate your cat can. Now you know, next time you're floating the middle of the ocean the cat will outlive, outlast, outplay you in the hydration department.
3. On October 18th, 1963, the Centre national d’études in France was set to send a small cat named Félix into space but on launch day, he went missing and an accidental heroine stepped in to take his place. Her name was Félicette, nicknamed Astrocat. And the rest is catstory...we mean, history.
4. Approximately 40,000 people are bitten by cats in the U.S. annually. Go figure, they are real beasts after all.
5. Cat's sleep for approximately 70% of their lives. Say you don't envy them and we won't believe you.
6. You know they always land on their feet as if they own some magic device that ignores the laws of physics, except they don't, they simply place themselves in an umbrella position, like a skydiver's shoot, to slow down the fall. Also, due to their keen sense of direction they can easily tell which side is up then simply turn the right way. Cool, huh?
7. Adult cats only meow to communicate with humans. They basically learned a foreign language just for us. Now you can feel like your cat actually cares about you enough to talk to you...even if it is just to ask for food, or petting.
8. Cats are often lactose intolerant, giving them milk is not necessarily good for them.
9. The death of a family cat in ancient Egypt would have prompted it's owners to shave their eyebrows are a sign of mourning. They would also embalm the cat with a sculpted wooden mask and place the little mummy in the family crypt or at the pet cemetery. We can safely assume that cats were the real kings of ancient Egypt.
10. Cats have unique prints just like humans, except theirs is not on their paws but on their nose. So ... don't let your cat get arrested :)
Now go hug your cat for no reason, he or she certainly deserves it.
Camera equipment: New and Old