Alternative Strobist lightning for beauty fashion shoot.
Sometimes traveling with heavy photographic gear could be an issue, especially by plain these days with all the luggage restrictions.
For me the answer is the marvelous world of Strobist photography with wireless triggers,portable light boxes, speedlights ect.
This particular beauty make up shoot was done in South Africa. No big studio equipment was hired.
Instead I used a single off camera speedlight 580EXII triggered with Pocketwizards ( TT1 and TT5) and a 40x40cm light box mounted.
The light box was placed at 25cm from her face to maximize contrast and a small reflector to minimize side shadows. The "studio" was a small room with white walls.
The final color corrections and retouches was done with photoshop CS6.
The model is a friend of mine witch also happens to be the make up artist of her own portrait and in this case helped a lot keeping the budget for the shoot low.
The point of my comment is that achieving studio like beauty portraits is possible with little lightning equipment and it's creative use.
Photo credits: Karelnoppe.
- It's a Beautiful Day
- How Do You Add Emotion to an Inanimate Object?
- Tension, fear, admiration, pride, all in one photo
- How to create emotions in photography?
- Capturing or generating emotions?
- Blog about blogs
- Snapshot is Not a Dirty Word: Musings of a Contrarian Walk Around Photographer
- Tip of the week: Make your mobile images microstock ready