Autumn - time for potato dumplings
Sweet dark plums are wrapped in a potato dough, and boiled before rolling in sweetened toasted bread crumbs. mmmmmm
I've done them on last Saturday, and made some pictures while doing it. It was quite a hard job to do two such things in the same time. :)
Try it! ( cooking, not photographing)
* 4 large russet potatoes
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 tablespoon butter, softened
* 2 eggs
* 1/4 cup farina
* 1 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
* camera set on timmer
* lens with wide apperture
* two opened bags that would be used as gloves
* 12 Italian prune plums
* 12 cubes white sugar
* 1/2 cup butter, melted
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1 cup dry bread crumbs
* additional melted butter and sugar for garnish (optional), or sour cream and cinnamon
1. Scrub potatoes, and place them into a large pot with enough water to cover. bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain, and cool. When potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel, and press through a ricer .
2.Mix together the prepared potatoes, salt, egg, and 1 tablespoon of butter until well blended. Gradually stir in the farina, and then the flour. If dough is still wet, more flour can be mixed in. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth, about 5 to 10 minutes.
3. Split open each plum where it cracks, and remove the pit. Replace each pit with a sugar cube, and close.
4. On a floured surface, roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into twelve 3 inch squares. Place one plum into each square, and bring the corners around to the top. Pinch together all of the seams to seal.
5. Bring a large pot of water to a slow boil. Place about 4 dumplings into the water at a time. Once they float to the surface, continue to cook them for about 5 more minutes. Transfer cooked dumplings to a covered bowl, and keep warm.
6. Melt the remaining 1/2 cup of butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Stir in bread crumbs, and 1/4 cup of sugar. Continue to cook and stir until browned. Remove the bread crumbs to a plate, and roll warm dumplings in the mixture until entirely coated. To serve, place a dumpling or two on a plate, sprinkle with a little sugar and a little extra melted butter, if desired.
Ooooo, I forgott to take a picture of a finished meal, they were sooo tasty, that I've forgotten :)
I guess I should do it today again .... plums are still available on the market.
Photo credits: , Jelena Popić.
Expert tips on creating composite designs
- Tip of the week: Adjusting exposure in post processing
- 3 Top Secrets to help you Shoot professional Photos on your smartphone
- Beautiful Tuolumne Meadows of Yosemite
- How to Produce HDR Photography Without Over Doing It
- Illustration, Vector, Cartoon, Clipart: What's the Difference?
- How to Write Product Descriptions that Stand out and Sell
- Tip of the week: How to be unique in an ocean of stock photos
- Istanbul: The Beautiful Necklace of Asia and Europe