Baby Gorilla Born at SF Zoo
For the past several years I have been waiting for a new baby gorilla to be born at the SF Zoo and it has finally happened. A couple of years back the SF Zoo received a female gorilla named Monifa to be paired up with the male gorilla named Oscar Jonesy that is head of the gorilla group at the zoo. Oscar Jonesy and Monifa are apart of the Species Survival Plan (SSP) which was selected by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). I had heard last week that one of the gorillas was pregnant but was not quite sure if it was Monifa or not. I just found out that on Monday Monifa gave birth to a healthy boy. Monifa is a first time mom and has not taken on her motherly roll so the staff are taking care of the baby at this moment but they hope to reintroduce Monifa and the baby back together in the near future.
It looks like he has his fathers smile :)
Pictures of Oscar Jonesy and Monifa:
Photo credits: , Susan Pettitt.
- Pet Rescue Photography: Bigsby
- Going on the road? Some thoughts
- Work Trips - How to combine commute to work with stock photography
- Three days, nine states and 1,000 miles
- How to Find Great Shots While on the Road
- How to Find Great Landscape Shots While on the Road
- On the road - Flying high
- Endless editorial possibilities on your trip