The business woman in stock photos:the strong, the smart, the graceful
Times are changing and so is the woman's place in business. From secretary to CEO, we now see more women at the helm of major companies than ever before and the perception of the woman's role in business has clearly shifted from marginal to central.
What about the business woman's portrayal in stock? How does the business woman stock photo should look like in order to be successful today?
1. First of all, she should be strong and show strength. Being a woman in business has never been easy for various reason. When we say strength in women, we mean and expect an uncommon strength of character rather than physical strength. For women to be successful in business, it's very often their personality that makes a difference so hinting to a powerful-inside woman is a great concept. A business woman's strength often comes from her amazing quality to bring balance between work tasks and home life, from the rewarding satisfaction of getting the work done better than anyone else, from being your own decision maker and breaker. It's no wonder these are 'business woman' best sellers:
2. Second, it's about being and looking smart. And when we say smart, we mean women who look confident, balanced, casual, ready to take though decisions. It's no secret women can do a great job at work while being great moms, meticulous house cleaners, professional rock climbers or hobbyist motorbike riders so portraying them like business superheroes would not bring you far from the truth. Women in business are often miracle makers, multi-tasking wizards, imaginative stock players so why not showing them like this? A business woman in an unconventional work place or even an unconventional outfit are something we will see more often than business man stock photos. And it is only natural, women do it better ;):
3. This is edited from 'pretty'.Third, it's about being graceful. And when we say graceful, we do not mean glamorous, beautiful looking models posing as business women but about the warmth, the familiarity, the naturalness and the trust business women usually inspire. We mean showing women who obviously enjoy business success while remaining the girl next door or your best friend. A woman's smile can make you buy something and not necessarily because the smile is gorgeous, but because it is sweet and trustworthy. These are unique traits women possess and stock photos should capture.
Happy Business Woman Day and congrats to all the ladies who mean and do business!
Check out our business woman collection here
Photo credits: Ammentorp, Diego Vito Cervo, Kiosea39, Mangpor2004, Hongqi Zhang (aka Michael Zhang), Mimagephotography, Sergey Nazarov, Sergey Khakimullin, Woraphon Banchobdi, Sepy67, Robert Kneschke.
- Important tips to buying second-hand photography equipment
- Shoot like a pro! Make your mobile shots stand out step-by-step
- The Struggle: a wildlife photography journal
- Its all about the place. Insights about my best sales.
- The secret of my success
- These are a few of My Favourite Things: Something New
- To sell or not to sell. What makes the difference?
- Tip of the Week: Photographing the Moon