Butterfly: unique symbol
Butterrfly is an insect from lepidopterous order. It is unique because of the life cycle which contains metamorphosis from egg, then caterpillar through pupa to beautiful bright adult.
That is why butterfly image became symbolic. It represents resurrection, hope and soul itself in Christianity, in China - love and joy in marriage, immortality. The Japans believe the white butterfly is a soul of died person. Also the Eastern people consider it as a symbol of transformation, change and freedom. The ancient Greeks had a goddess Psyche and god Amor which were represented as a girl with butterfly wings. By the way, in translation from old Greek word "butterfly" means soul. In Scandinavian mythology elves and fairies of air looked like little men and women with the wings of butterfly.
First pictures of butterfly were found about 1500 BC in ancient Egypt. In icons artists sometimes represent little Jesus with the butterfly on his hand.
Photo credits: Olyashevchenko.
Expert tips on creating composite designs
- Putting Your Town on the Map: How to Rediscover Your Own Home in Photos
- Spend the time where it counts
- Tip of the week: Putting things into perspective
- How to Make Gorgeous Gradients for any Background
- GIMP Vs Photoshop
- Apple in Mirror
- Composite Images: The New Secret to Success in Stock Photography
- Fontastic: Picking the Perfect Font for Your Design Project