Butterfly: unique symbol
Butterrfly is an insect from lepidopterous order. It is unique because of the life cycle which contains metamorphosis from egg, then caterpillar through pupa to beautiful bright adult.
That is why butterfly image became symbolic. It represents resurrection, hope and soul itself in Christianity, in China - love and joy in marriage, immortality. The Japans believe the white butterfly is a soul of died person. Also the Eastern people consider it as a symbol of transformation, change and freedom. The ancient Greeks had a goddess Psyche and god Amor which were represented as a girl with butterfly wings. By the way, in translation from old Greek word "butterfly" means soul. In Scandinavian mythology elves and fairies of air looked like little men and women with the wings of butterfly.
First pictures of butterfly were found about 1500 BC in ancient Egypt. In icons artists sometimes represent little Jesus with the butterfly on his hand.
Photo credits: Olyashevchenko.
- Background information. Part three.
- Important tips to buying second-hand photography equipment
- Shoot like a pro! Make your mobile shots stand out step-by-step
- The Struggle: a wildlife photography journal
- Its all about the place. Insights about my best sales.
- The secret of my success
- These are a few of My Favourite Things: Something New
- To sell or not to sell. What makes the difference?