This is information that I've used over and over again since the workshop. It's also raised some questions for me that I doubt anyone has researched. Does color preference change by country? The bright warm textiles of Morocco and India come to mind as well as the blues of Sweden.
One other bit of information that I don't know how many of you are aware of is that there is a color board. It's a group of color people and designers from the fashion and design industries that get together and decide what colors will be fashionable. They forecast the most popular colors for several years in the future. There is a subscription service for this information, but it's out of the budgets of most photographers and designers. Color makes a progression through the various areas of manufacturing. It shows up in women's clothing first. Then it moves to men's clothing and then to children's clothing. From clothing it moves to home design such as furniture and appliances. Lastly, it shows up in the automobile industry. This happens just before it becomes "old fashioned." Here in the US, we might take a look at all of the orange cars currently being produced. Orange may have almost run it's course as a popular color.
This piece is written from memory, but I'll be doing more research on the topic and will post more information in the future.
Photo credits: Patricia L. Ballard.
- How to Guide Clients toward Making the Best Design Choices
- Designing Business Cards that Get the Job Done
- Secret of Image Selection! Crossed 300 images
- What are calls-to-action for users in a site?
- How to make a football photo outside of the stadium
- How to Photograph Coffee for Instagram Posts - Pro Tips
- Creating Calls-to-Action that Work
- Tour of Slovenia in Lendava