Cross Polarizing Technique
Polarized light source (e.g. laptop LCD screen)
Transparent plastic object (e.g. measuring cup)
1. Adjust your laptop screen such that it’s perpendicular to the keyboard. Set your screen’s brightness to the maximum value, and fill it with a white image. I just open Notepad and maximize the window.
2. Mount your camera on a tripod in front of the screen, and put the polarizing filter on the lens.
3. Rotate the filter until the image through the viewfinder is black.
4. Place your transparent plastic object between the screen and the camera. Do you see those rainbow-like colors? Pretty cool eh? Now frame and focus.
5. Turn off or cover any other light sources, and take the shot using a remote release or your camera’s self-timer.
Enjoy! Please note the above has been adapted from Chris Gatcum’s Camera Creative.
How to shoot events