DIGITAL PAINTING - Dreamstime
Digital painting is an emerging art form in which traditional painting techniques such as watercolor, oils, impasto, etc. are applied using digital tools by means of a computer, a digitizing tablet and stylus, and software.
Digital painting thrives mostly in production art. It is most widely used in conceptual design for film, television and video games. Digital painting software such as Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop, ArtRage, GIMP, Krita and openCanvas give artists a similar environment to a physical painter: a canvas, painting tools, mixing palettes, and a multitude of color options.
The main difference between digital and traditional painting is the non-linear process. That is, an artist can often arrange his painting in layers that can be edited independently. Also, the ability to undo and redo strokes frees the artist from a linear process. But digital painting is limited in how it employs the techniques and study of a traditional painter because of the surface differences and lack of physicality.
The digital artist has at his disposal several tools not available to the traditional painter. Some of these include: a virtual palette consisting of millions of colors, almost any size canvas or media, and the ability to take back mistakes, as well as erasers, pencils, spray cans, brushes, combs, and a variety of 2D and 3D effect tools.
A graphics tablet allows the artist to work with precise hand movements simulating a real pen and drawing surface.
Even the traditional surface has changed for digital painting. Instead of a canvas or sketchbook, artists would use a mouse or tablet to display strokes that would appear with the touch of a pen to the tablet’s surface, or a click of pen.
ART BY ALENA LAZAREVA
Occupation: Digital Artist & illustrator
Location: Russia, Naberezhnye Chelny
Digital Art Skills :
* Photoshop : digital painting, graphics
* Corel Draw : graphics, design
* Tablet Wacom Intuos3
Photo credits: Alenalazareva.
- Spring is coming, time for a clean up
- How to Stay Safe When Photographing in Extreme Weather
- 5 Ways to Creatively Add Reflections in Your Stock Images
- Create Your Own Custom Brushes in Adobe Photoshop
- Species Spotlight: Killdeer... voice that carries
- Tip of the week: How to make your descriptions work for you
- Creative Ways to Incorporate Reflections in Your Photography
- First commercial steps with a drone