Do we need a CPL Filter?
For thoose that don't know what a CPL filter [circular polarizer filter] is, I will try to explain what is it's purpose and you can decide on your own if you need it.
Let's imagine this:
"You just came back from your vacation on the seaside and you download your pictures from your camera. You look at them but you don't see that blue water that was right there beside you. You only see the reflection of the sunlight and you wonder: why is that? Where are the pictures with clear sea water, with clear reef and colorful fishes?"
Well, you should have used a CPL Filter.
What is a CPL Filter?
It's a filter that you mount on your lens and has a ring that rotates so you can get the best out of it?
What does a CPL Filter do?
1. It removes the reflections from non-metal surfaces. Like water, glass, car paint and others;
2. It increases the contrast;
3. It makes the sky a little darker [useful in some conditions];
How much does it cost?
It's not a big investment. You can find a good CPL Filer starting from 25-30$ but it can get up to 150$.
I saw on the market CPL Filers for less than 15$ but I don't recomment thoose because the glass is not MC [MultiCoated] and you can get unwanted reflections in your photos.
How can I choose the CPL Filer for my camera?
Find out what is the diameter of your lenses. You can usualy read this info from the front part of your lens, near the glass or it should be written in the lens manual.
You can buy a used filter but take a good look at it for scratches.
I wanted to explain things as simple as I can, so everyone can understand it.
So, if you feel that a CPL Filter would help you get better photos go for it!
As for me, there will be no trip to the seaside, to a lake or a carshow without this filter in my poket!
Good luck everyone and happy shooting!
Photo credits: Andrei Tailup.
- Is pro photography going away??
- Hagia Sophia, Istanbul (Traveling Turkey Series - 1)
- Stock Photography - How to sell your images
- Alba Iulia Forress - Romania
- You Don't Have To Be An Illustrator To Create a Composite
- The Stock Photography Industry is Changing Again, Will You Be Able to Change Too?
- Tip of the week: Illustrations, how to and how not to
- When night becomes more colorful than day