DT life starts at 50!
What a year! After picking up a camera for the first time just 18 months ago, then moving to the middle east to start a new career, I've just celebrating my one year anniversary on DT, hit 50 uploads and have become exclusive with DT.
To be honest, I thought this would be easier than it was.....but i found that out from my first big batch of rejections this time last year! Time constraints and a busy life made it difficult to find time to upload, but I'm happy with the diverse portfolio I'm building - 52 images on 44 different subjects! However, if there's one thing I've learned, perhaps it's to be a little less critical with my upload selections and upload maybe three of four pictures from a 'shoot'.
But, after seeing my images begin to sell, 50 uploads is something I've had my sights on for a few months for a few reasons:
1. It's half way towards my next target of 100 uploads by Easter!
2. It means that I can now really challenge my technique and creativity by having a go at assignments
3. I can become exclusive and, ultimately make a little bit more revenue from sales (plus the added incentive of cash-per-upload!)
As an amateur with little spare time, it makes sense to become exclusive - I don't have time to be managing several portfolios with different stock agencies. I know some of my images may, perhaps, sell better elsewhere, but I'm not really expecting to make a living out of stock. Finally, I like the DT community! I've learned so much over the past 12 months from all of you, whether it's on the messageboards or just from spying through your portfolios - some real inspiration!
I see a long road ahead with many successes on the way!
Have a great 2011 everybody!
Photo credits: Dean Riley.
- Important tips to buying second-hand photography equipment
- Shoot like a pro! Make your mobile shots stand out step-by-step
- The Struggle: a wildlife photography journal
- Its all about the place. Insights about my best sales.
- The secret of my success
- These are a few of My Favourite Things: Something New
- To sell or not to sell. What makes the difference?
- Tip of the Week: Photographing the Moon