First year at DT and my first sale
This month, I celebrate one year at DT.
Photograhing iss for me a hobby and an obsession that started in november, 2008 when I bought my first camera - compact bridge Fujifilm S1000fd -, for a time, I was quite happy with it. Improving my photography skills was one of the main reasons for which I join in 2010 Stock Photography and Dreamstime. For me, being rewiev and accepted from a professional level was a huge challenge.
But really soon I became really frustrated. In the first months, I uploaded 15 photos but only two of them were admitted, most of them were rejected for technical reasons such poor quality lens, chromatic aberations or frying lens.
So, in november 2010, I decided it was time for an upgrade: I bought my first DSRL. I must admite, I am crazy about this gear, it is really great. My acceptance ratio improved dramatically: 12 uploades accepted and only two rejections. Yupiiii - No more anoying reasons such: poor quality lens, chromatic aberations.
These days gave another reason to be joyfull:my first sale.
I am not an expert but I would give some advice for those who want to begin uloading in stock business:
- know your gear. Even if you have an compact, you can do acceptable photos for stock photography. For example, those photos were made with my bridge camera
- learn the basics of photography. Know about aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance, focus, depth of field, composition rules, is the first major step in dramaticly improving your work. Search on the internet and you will find all kinds of great tutorials. Read the DT post on the blog, you`ll find all kinds of practical, great advice.
- learn to improve your photos with the help of some great programs - for free you can use GIMP or you can invest in some powerfull tools like Adobe Photoshop.
- shoot subjects that you love. Always look for new ways to shoot a theme in a new, creative manner. Also try to find out the themes that the stock agencies is looking for.
- be creative. Oh, well, this is a point that I have to improve to my photos - I don`t feel I am ready yet to aproach but learning conceptual photos - it is a goal that I establish for my next year at DT.
I want to thank you for reading my first post on the blog, I hope I didn`t make too many language mistakes. I thank you all for your good advices and for being such a supportive community.
Photo credits: Laurasibiu.