Five simple tips for taking pet pictures that will sell.
Anyone can point a camera at their pet and take a snapshot, but if you want an image that will get accepted here at Dreamstime and will sell well, you need to put in a little more effort. Here are a few simple rules to help get you started.
1. Get down to their eye level. Simple, you've probably heard it before, it really makes a world of difference.
2. Patience Patience Patience! It really takes time, some of my best selling pet images required an hour or more of shooting in order to get that single great shot.
3. Get help. You just can't do it alone. An assistant can arrange props, move the animal into different poses, or get it's attention with a variety of treats and noisemakers so that you can focus on getting the shot.
4. Be quick! The right moment will come and go in a flash... no pun intended. You'll need lots of light and have all your equipment fully charged and ready to go.
5. Get creative. Use your imagination! Blowing on a dogs ear with a straw will make them shake their heads, a bit of something tasty smeared on their lips will get them licking their chops....The possibilities are endless!
Don't forget to reward them with a treat or play time after a photo session. Have fun, my dog and I always do.
Photo credits: Barbara Helgason.