How long does it take you to isolate? (Thinking after master-class)
I usually spend crazy amount of time on isolation (about 40 minutes). Yesterday I saw on youtube a master-class where the photographer said he spends on it 3 minutes only. I put down his method and tried. Same 40 minutes, but the result much worse than before. Some objects with difficult shape were absolutely impossible to isolate this way. The ugly edges remained, plus dirty background. For this reason I ask - is it me alone having this problem? How long does it take you to isolate an object? And how do you fight against ugly edges?
Also this photographer said that to save efforts he gives this job away and that people working for him agree to do this job for 70 cent per picture. I wonder is it really possible? Can this process be really so simple that it costs 70 cent to make? Am I missing something?
Below are the two methods - one I used before, the other is from master-class. Please, add your comment about what you think about these 2 methods. Especially if you think they can be advanced. Thank you very much.
My old method:
1. Mugnify an object 200%, make a contour with feather.
2. Save path.
3. Load path with selection
5. Fill with color
6. Clean if something is imperfect with healing brush or little bit blur the edges (0,4 pix) on another layer, then erase from this layer parts of the object which should remain sharp.
7. Saving the picture
The new one:
1. Make things more contrast with curves.
2. Fill big background areas with white
3. Click on background with magic wand (tolerance 5-15 depending on contrast)
4. Select-modify-extend (2-3 pix)
5. Select-modify-smooth (7-12 pix)
6. Fill the rest of background with white
7. In case the shape of the object has corners which remained dirty use feather.
8. Restore the contrast
After this all should be clean (but not in my case) Repeating actions 4 and 5 don't help.
Photo credits: Julia161.