How to install a Favicon on your website
A favicon is the little icon that appears on the left of the domain on your browser window. All well known websites have one and here are four quick and easy steps to ensure you can have one too. You can see Dreamstime has a little green swirl.
1. Make an image that is 16 pixels by 16 pixels exactly.
2. Save it as or rename it favicon.ico.
3. Upload it to your server in the same directory as your main index page.
4. Edit the code of your index page, somewhere between the and tags, insert the line , and remember to put your own domain name in.
Done! you may have to refresh or clear your cache and then your little icon will appera next to your domain. It will also be saved whenever someone bookmarks your site.
I assume the name 'favicon' come from putting 'favorite' and icon together. Some other names for the favicon include; website icon, shortcut icon, url icon, or bookmark icon.
Photo credits: Perry Toone.
- Work Trips- How to combine commute to work with stock photography
- Three days, nine states and 1,000 miles
- How to Find Great Shots While on the Road
- How to Find Great Landscape Shots While on the Road
- On the road - Flying high
- Endless editorial possibilities on your trip
- Have the perfect plan while you are on the road
- An Easy Way to Flatten Those Curves You Sometimes Get With Merging Software