How to make a boring paper texture look great (Part 1)
This is a tutorial as some have as for tips on how I make my stocks digitally. So I decided to start with explaining how I do my parchment papers. First part is about making torn edges
As I can't post images to explain every step of the process I'll just do my best to walk you through tools and filters in Photoshop. Please note this requires a minimum knowledge of photoshop and what the main tools do
You can start by applying your paper texture to a blank file. Leave a little space as margins. Do whatever adjustments you think are necessary in terms of color, contrast and so on before proceeding to the next step.
You have several ways of achieving the torn edges look (cropping with pen tool or erasing unnecesary part with a hard brush eraser tool) but I personally prefer doing this the easy way. I simply use a torn edge brush for the eraser tool. I'd link you to some but I'm not sure if that is allowed in here :) The web is full with sites offering free brushsets or if you'd have to pay for one I tell you it's a good investment ;P
Just make sure the eraser or brush is not opaque. If it is you'll have to click 2-3 times so it erases the full part you want deleted.
Another tip: Don't uppersize the brush. It'll leave you pixeled corners. Just be patient and do it by bits if necessary
I hope this will help you guys ^^
I'll be adding the page curl and turned corner these days aswell :)
Photo credits: Frozenstar.
Expert tips on creating composite designs
- Illustration, Vector, Cartoon, Clipart: What's the Difference?
- How to Write Product Descriptions that Stand out and Sell
- Tip of the week: How to be unique in an ocean of stock photos
- Istanbul: The Beautiful Necklace of Asia and Europe
- Enjoy Fall Photography
- Copy space importance for designers to make composite images
- Advise for new photographers - displaying and designing billboards
- How to create Compelling Mixed Media Designs - A Journey Through Wild Africa