Improving your landscape photography
1. Get out of bed – You need to be on the field when the light is the best which usually is around sunset and around sunrise. You want to be on your location of photography before the sun rises. Thats when you will catch magical photos. There are professional landscape photograpers who basically never shots during daytime.
2. Know your area – Get to know your area to figure out the great places for photography. Study maps, figure out where the sun rises and where it sets, ask locals or experienced phoographers from the area, browse internet for photos from the area.
3. Get a tripod – A tripod is a must for anyone who is taking landscape photography close to serious. You will need to use long shutter speed alot.
4. Shoot in RAW – not all agree on this but in my opinion there is no doubt you will be able to get better photos shooting RAW. Maybe most important there is much more room for mistakes when shooting when using RAW, alot can be fixed when you get home by the computer. Just one such simple thing as changing the white balance on your photo can work wonders.
5. Get a polarising filter – Great to have, especially when shooting photos with water.
6. Think about the foreground – So you have that really nice colorful sunrise in the background? Great! Now you need to get some depth in your picture to avoid it from being flat and boring. Find some nice foreground object or texture.
7. Understand the histogram – It takes 10 minutes to learn the basic of the histogram and how to use it. It is a must to know and an eye-opener for the beginner when he realises how to use it.
8. Learn basic rules of composition – If you dont already know something about this, at least learn the Rule of third. It will help. Alot.
9. Get inspired – Browse the internet, read books and magazines with landscape photography to get inspired by professional photograpers and photos. Also take a second to think about how a specific photo have been created by the photographer.
This was 9 really quick and short tips on how to get started with landscape photography. If you have not considered these points before I can assure you that following these will take your landscape photographs to an entirely new level.
Related image searches
Photography related image searches
Photo credits: Honkamaa.