Let's Go Shopping - at the Malls!
Anyone love shopping? It is the weekends, y'all. Let's have fun!
Why do I have so many pictures of shopping malls? Simply an obsession with shopping. While online shopping is convenient and saves time, there is nothing like being there physically in the stores checking out clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.
If you are heading to the big cities, don't forget to photograph shopping malls. Each mall has unique architecture and lighting. It can be quite challenging capturing the people and the stores into the frame but it is worth the time and effort!
So combine a passion for shopping and photography, it is hardly work when it so much fun.
Such photos can be uploaded as editorials or RF. For RF, more editing is needed as logos, brand and store names must not be seen and people faces need to be blurred. They do sell more than editorials. My personal preference is editorial as I want to see the brand and store names. For such editorials I think having crowd of people browsing at the stores depicts a sale and that is the point being at the malls.
Photographing at Shopping Malls
- to avoid large crowd and jostling, come on a monday or tuesday.
- go to 2nd level and higher to get a vantage view.
- practise handheld techniques as using the tripod will likely attract security's attention.
- don't lean the camera lens directly on the glass display, especially jewellery and branded items - security will come calling. Haha, learn that the hard way.
- using a polarizor helps to avoid reflections, also slows down the shutter speed by about 2 f stop - that helps in creating ghostly images.
- shoot upwards too because the ceiling decors are fantastic.
- if you have family and friends with you, photograph them shopping, pose them with shopping bags - such scenes sell.
- come during weekends as malls usually have special events that draw the crowd and provide photography opportunities.
Where I live in Singapore, shopping here is a past time. There is a saying "Shop, shop till you drop". Love this mall decorations. It was taken at Paragon, Orchard Road. - the shopping haven here. A very big thank you to the buyer as I reach a milestone for the latest sale.
For those in need of retail therapy cure, you don't have to sacrifice the burning need to be at the malls. Leave the credit cards but bring along the camera instead. Watch your effort turn into sales instead of spending money on unnecessary items.
Have fun folks! Be merry but always wary! Cheers!
Photo credits: Haslinda.
Expert tips on creating composite designs
- Fontastic: Picking the Perfect Font for Your Design Project
- Turning an ordinary shoot plan into a great one
- Death Valley National Park - The hottest place on earth and the lowest point in North America
- November 2018 Farm Harvest In Iowa
- Cost Saving Tips Every Pro Photographer Should Know
- 8 Mobile Apps Every Photographer Should Have
- A Little Motivation
- San Diego Zoo - not only a zoo, but also a botanic garden