Medieval Fortification of Brasov City
In 1395, King Sigismund of Luxembourg (1387-1437) oversaw the fortification works of the City of Brasov, an important defensive line against the Ottoman Empire, in this part of Europe. In 1421 the settlement was devastated but in 1432 the Turkish invasion couldn’t conquer it, which means that the protective walls around it were already overs. Later on, the Medieval Fortifications of Brasov were developed in several stages, being completed in 1641, with the new Goldsmith`s Bastion on the North-Eastern side of them.
There were destroyed the monumental North-Eastern Gates of the city - Porta Portica and Porta Petri (fortified in 1521-1532); The Black Lane`s Gate (1464), the four rows of curtains walls and ditches (extended between 1639 and 1641), the Goldsmith` Bastion. The Red Tanners` Bastion was raised at the beginning of 16th century, next to the Cloth Weavers`s Bastion, at the same time as the outer precinct which fortified the whole Eastern side of the City. The Bastion was restored in 1961-1962 and, after that, an enclosure for young children playground was fitted up there. New restoration works were made in 2005.
Photo credits: Emicristea.