Most popular images - why, when, how
Every person who is at least half serious about microstock will, at some point, open the page that lists the most popular images on Dreamstime.
It is a well known fact we inspire from each other's success images but what works for some not always works for others.
In this blog I will try to pick some representative images and shed some light on why the images in question are so popular, when they were taken and how they reached this spot.
- the why is obvious, well composed, natural looking business image
- the when is offered by the very old ID of the image, sometime in 2005
- the how is a combination given by the very sought after subject covered by very few images and the momentum offered by the time when this image came online.
Being on vacation is one of our favorite times of the year so evidently it makes a great photo
- the why: subject is vacation, in a tropical place with blue waters and idyllic palm tree hanging over the ocean. The feet hanging from the tree are impersonal yet they make you imagine being there.
- the when: around 2005
- the how: as it was the case with the first image the photographer had great foresight and great eyes for stock imagery. Uploading an image on a sought after subject made it a great hit given the time when it was uploaded.
- the why: again, the subject is great, the image is natural, the beach is lovely and the tilted horizon makes things look out of fairytale. The color of the sky contrasting with the pure white of her dress and the tanned skin makes this image even more desirable.
- the when: around 2007
- the how: subject is working together with models and the setting to put this image on top. This image is still selling as well simply because it is stunning and well made
- the why: family images are a popular subject but what makes this different from others is the natural feeling of the whole image, the simple beach, not a fancy resort beach, the simple family in shorts and t-shirts, the beautiful warm light of the sun at sunset and hearty smiles of the people in it. They look like a great family
- the when: around 2007
- the how: it's natural, hence it sells, the colors are glowing, yet they don't burn your eyes, the people are enjoying themselves, yet they don't put on fake ear to ear smiles.
- the why: The large group of people was a fairly new idea, not too simple to make unless you had a big studio or great computer skills and knew something about good isolation of subjects. This is well lit, well composed and has copy space, which is important.
- the when: around 2008
- the how: this images has a very large array of application thus making it successful was not very difficult. And being one of the first on the market to bring such images online was also a plus.
Of course there are so many successful images with just as many stories to discuss. What I am aiming at with this blog is to show people how an image can get there, why, and even when.
Bring the novelty into microstock, it is difficult these days, I know, but the world is always changing, new trends appear, others leave the limelight. Be prepared to bring your ideas online at the right time, it may be as important as the concept itself. Last but not least learn to combine creativity with business.
Good luck and good shooting.
Questions are expected and welcomed.
- Over 600 sales! Creativity never gets old!
- Taking Stock: Designing for Calendars!
- Dog Rescue Photography: Zeus the Tibetan mix
- How to Created Smooth, Subtle Gradients in Photoshop
- Mastering the Basics : InDesign
- How to take sharper dogs pictures
- An Alligator ate my Action Camera!!!
- New Year 2020: Designing calendars