My (almost) free lighting setup
Some of the most asked questions on the message boards are about lighting. Where do I get it? What do I get? Is there anything cheaper? Whats the best?
I thought I would take some time to share my lighting setup with you.
Here it is...
I know it doesn't look very pretty but the images I have made with it are! I put this one together in about an hour or two using a cardboard box, pieces of white fabric, large white sheet of paper, masking tape, three lamps, three natural color "daylight" 6500K light bulbs (any bulbs will work) and some small mirrors(not a 'must have').
By replacing the cardboard sides and top with fabric I was able to shine light through and diffuse it at the same time. This creates a nice soft light on your subject.
I had all of these items sitting around my house except for the natural color bulbs. I would estimate that you could make this same setup for about $20... much cheaper and easier than buying a professional setup. I suggest anyone starting out in product photography to build one of these and play around with it.
I hope this helps! Good Luck!!!
f/7.1 1/200th second ISO 400
f/5.0 1/50th second ISO 125
f/5.0 1/50th second ISO 100
Photo credits: Alek Kringstad.
- How to Guide Clients toward Making the Best Design Choices
- Designing Business Cards that Get the Job Done
- Secret of Image Selection! Crossed 300 images
- What are calls-to-action for users in a site?
- How to make a football photo outside of the stadium
- How to Photograph Coffee for Instagram Posts - Pro Tips
- Creating Calls-to-Action that Work
- Tour of Slovenia in Lendava