New release templates
We are launching new and improved versions of our branded model and property release forms. The updating process is necessary, because the now outdated documents did make clear all the information we legally require from the signing parties on the present day.
It has been several years since the last update and we felt we must address the increased legal needs and that we could present the information more comprehensively and logically, plus throw in a few bonus features.
Please let me walk you through the new designs
The first thing you will notice is the new look - two column layout for better presentation and, more practically, more space efficient. You have much more writing room than on the previous release forms.
The legal text is left the same, but we have added several fields new to Dreamstime, and convenient tips for filling them in.
You can now fill in the form digitally - in the free Acrobat Reader. All textual info can be entered via keyboard and the cursor moved to the next field with the Tab-key. If you highlight the fields, you can also easily spot the required fields - those are surrounded by a red border (and marked with an asterix for printed out forms). Pausing the cursor over a form field will briefly display a handy tooltip.
Let me point out the important changes one by one:
1) The most obvious is the visual reference area. This is not required, but for the convenience of those who work with many models. All contributors are encouraged, however, to paste in an image of the model for your own reference at least. TIP: In Acrobat Reader you can copy the image from say, Photoshop, and paste it onto the form directly. You can then resize it from the corner handles and drag it to the right area. Be sure to save - the image will be embedded within the document.
2) The same goes for Gender and Race selection. These are not required, but I see no point in avoiding them. This will help you and us to verify the integrity of this data on the release vs the data entered into the MR library. If you check a box, it cannot be unchecked again and only one box in the group can be selected. This check will be done automatically and intuitively - if you misfire, just click into the correct box once again. The boxes are initially left unchecked for those of you who must print the release first and fill in the form by hand (on assignment or a trip for example).
NB! While you can fill in all the textual data in Acrobat Reader, you must still print the filled document out to collect signatures. ALL SIGNATURES MUST BE HANDWRITTEN and authentic.
It is not allowed to paste in a scanned signature from another source. This will be noticed 100% by the image reviewers and the release is rejected. The digital form fields have been provided only for your convenience to fill in some data before or during the shoot (and for avoiding bad handwriting). We encourage to use this feature, but we still need authentic signatures, with no exceptions! The signatures must be written on the very same paper that you print out and then photograph or scan in again. In some innovative countries there are official means for digital signing, but documents signed in this way are not credible in the US. We will let you know if and when this happens.
3) The form field labels have been moved under the field baseline to save space and allow for longer instructions. Please note the following changes:
Model's Full Name - this seems obvious, still we do receive a lot of first OR last names only in this field. But we are legally required to have the full name, including middle names if they exist.
Model's Date of Birth - this has become a required field. We have prepared convenient slots for you to enter the numbers. Please note that the FORMAT for the date should be as exampled below the field (the US format - MM DD YYYY - month, date, followed by four digit year).
Model's Street Address - due to much confusion about the correct and universally comprehensible address format, we have broken it up into four distinct fields. The "Street Address" is for the street name and house / flat number only. Postal/ZIP code is not required, but if applicable, should be filled in (especially in case of the US addresses, since there is no separate field for the state code). If the model lives outside of modern infrastructure, then the city field can be used for a county name or another administrative region used by the postal service. All the address fields must combine into such an address which is reachable by the postal service internationally.
Once again, please do not write the city and country in the street address field and leave their designated fields empty!
Model's phone with an international country code - this is a required field as always, but we have stressed the need for an international prefix here. The + sign is already inserted, it must be followed by country code (ie. 372 for Estonia, 1 for US, 44 for UK - see the complete list), followed by regional code (if exists), followed by local number. Do not use spaces between blocks of numbers!
Model's E-mail Address - is not required, but is greatly appreciated, since it is the most convenient and efficient way of communication (but it also changes the most often).
Date - as all legal documents and contracts should have a date of signing, this is it. Enter the date on which this document was signed. It is not a required field, but helpful for your own track keeping.
Photographer's and Witness' Full Names - should be treated the same way as the model's full name requirement. Note that the witness must be a third person, witnessing the act of signing this release, the witness, therefore, cannot be the photographer nor the model.
DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE DOCUMENT! if you need that data later. If you print out the release right away, then you can close and discard the changes and start again from a blank form next time.
Because the release has to be printed out and signed by hand, there is no submit button on the form and the required fields cannot be enforced upon saving. It is the responsibility of the contributor to ensure all required fields have been filled. We have done everything on our part to make those fields stand out.
There is no point in archiving the PDFs since they do not contain signatures, but if you wish to do so, it is possible to save the document with the entered data.
The international forms will be available shortly hereafter. We will notify of this via the news section on the homepage.
Remember that that although our model and property releases are available in several languages, all fields must be field with roman letters only.
Photo credits: Radu Razvan Gheorghe.
All about color
- Crazy about concepts
- Designers extracting colors by knowing their clients
- Winter's Solitude Approaches
- Background information. Part three.
- Important tips to buying second-hand photography equipment
- Shoot like a pro! Make your mobile shots stand out step-by-step
- The Struggle: a wildlife photography journal
- Its all about the place. Insights about my best sales.