Light from the camera - bad. Light from a side of the camera - good. This is the shortest way to express the simple truth that light from a side gives more texture and 3D feel to a picture.
If you are new to this world of off-camera lighting, there's a space which is absolutely a must - Strobist From the basics to more complicated operations. I highly recommend it.
I just love experimenting with off-camera flash, some of the results can be found here, on DT. So far I am triggering the strobe using my built-in flash, but I have just ordered those radio controllers, which trigger more efficiently and flawlessly. Can't wait to test them.
Photo credits: Sebastian Czapnik.
- NOT climbing a mountain could be very efficient
- Wait on it!
- Pesky Squirrels
- Tip of the week: mobile images and microstock, oops I forgot my DSLR
- My first artistic nude picture was "accidental"
- 10 Things You Can Shoot Right Now
- Animal Shelter Photography: Sable the senior GSD
- Using Stock Images, Videos, and Music to Create Amazing Short Films on a Budget