Recipe: Barley with Grilled Summer Squash
If you're a gardener or have a friend at work who is one, then just about this time of year you are most likely up to your knees in summer squash.
We've been trying all kinds of recipes lately to use up the bounty. This one was really tasty and healthy - give it a try!
Barley with Grilled Summer Squash and Herb Vinaigrette
2 cups of water
1/3 teaspoon of salt
1 1/4 cups quick-cooking pearl barley
1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise
1 medium yellow summer squash, quartered lengthwise
1 small red onion, cut into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 tbs black pepper
2 tbs white wine vinegar
1 tbs honey
1 tsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp snipped fresh thyme
1/2 tsp snipped oregano
1/2 tsp snipped parsley
1/3 cup coarsely shredded Asiago or Romano cheese
- bring water and salt to boil. slowly add barley. return to boil, then reduce heat. simmer, covered until barley is tender (10 - 12 min).
- brush zuk, summer squash and onion with oil oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill on rack (onion take about 5 minutes longer then squash).
- make the vinaigrette by combining 2 tbs olive oil, the white wine vinegar, honey, mustard and herbs.
- then just combine everything at the end - veggies, barley, vinaigrette and cheese. Photograph and eat!
- 2017 in review - November and December: Bucharest protests renewed, Remembrance Day, AMA, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Christmas Around the World and more
- Love that couple!
- Commercial vs Editorial: why limit yourself?
- How to Easily (and Legally!) Create Olympic-Themed Ads
- Epic Design Tips for Creating Movie Posters
Photo credits: Peanutroaster.