Ribonucleic acid (RNA) is a nucleic acid that consists of a long chain of nucleotide units.
RNA is very similar to DNA, in the cell, RNA is usually single-stranded, while DNA is usually double-stranded; RNA nucleotides contain ribose while DNA contains deoxyribose; and RNA has the base uracil rather than thymine that is present in DNA.
A type of RNA called messenger RNA (mRNA) carries information from DNA to structures called ribosomes to translate proteins. Transfer RNA (tRNA) and ribosomal RNA (rRNA) are both involved in the process of translation.
There are RNAs with other roles – in particular regulating which genes are expressed (SiRNA), but also as the genome of most viruses.
Photo credits: Yunxiang987.
- Important tips to buying second-hand photography equipment
- Shoot like a pro! Make your mobile shots stand out step-by-step
- The Struggle: a wildlife photography journal
- Its all about the place. Insights about my best sales.
- The secret of my success
- These are a few of My Favourite Things: Something New
- To sell or not to sell. What makes the difference?
- Tip of the Week: Photographing the Moon