Travel in Romania: Church St. Nicholas (Brasov)
Saint Nicholas Church is a Romanian Orthodox church in Brasov, dominating the historic district of Schei. The church was established in 1292 (an wooden church) and is the oldest orthodox church of Brasov city.
It was built in a mix of the Byzantine, Baroque and Gothic styles. Initially built in gothic style, it was redon in Baroque style. The frescoes was painted by the murlaist Misu Popp (1827-1892).
The church was mentioned in a Papal bull issued in 1399 by Pope Boniface IX. Starting in 1495, the church was rebuilt in stone by the locals, with help from Vlad Călugărul and Neagoe Basarab (after 1512)), Voivods (Prince) of Wallachia.
St. Nicholas Church is situated at the United Square (Piata Unirii), which can be found in the old Romanian district of Schei. The walled church grounds are emplacement to a cemetery and the grave of Nicolae Titulescu who was a romanian foreign minister (1927-1936) and president of the League of Nations (1930-1931).
In background it can be seen the Tampa Mountain (955 m altitude) the symbol of Brasov city.
Related image searches
Travel related image searches
Photo credits: Emicristea.