Travel in Romania :: Barsana Monastery
"Barsan" is a romanian surname, from medieval times. It means a shepherd with thick long wool. It look like a romanian chief, Stanislau, the son of Stan Barsan, dominate this zone in XIV century (some documents from 1326-1346). Even the monastery was first time mentioned in 1405, the existence is earlier. Actual wooden church was built on the place of the other, in 1720. The monastery from Barsana functioned until 1791 (with religious monastery purposes), and than was abandoned. Between 1802 and 1805 the villagers of Barsana moved the unused church in the middle of community. The interior walls were painted by the local artist Hodor Toader, in 1806, like it is writing in the naos.
Barsana is one of the eight religious churches on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
Photo credits: Emicristea.