Travel in Romania :: Sumuleu Church
The church is located in Harghita county of Transylvania (Romania), in the main city of Miercurea Ciuc (Csikszereda), populated main with hungarians.
The Franciscan church is one of the most famous architectural monuments of Transylvania. It belongs to the best-known shrines of Romania and it is the largest place of pilgrimage in Transylvania. It was built in Baroque style, between 1804-1834.
Today the most valuable object of the church is the statue carved of lime-tree: the Holy Virgin with Jesus the child, with gilded wooden crown on her head. The Renaissance, gilded and painted 16th century statue is the largest among the devotional statues known all over the world (227 cm). Several legends talk about the miracles attributed to the statue being one of the most typical illustrations of the “Woman dressed in the Sun”
Beautiful altar-pieces, its organ belonging to the most famous concert organs of Romania, the third largest one of Transylvania, its coloured vitrails ,two further statues of saints, a Pagan sacrificial stone, reliefs are among the most valuable pieces of this church. The tombs of some of the most famous people of the region can also be found here.
Photo credits: Emicristea.
- Ideas on sea and ocean photos
- Tip of the week: Never forget to straighten your images
- My effective way for calls-to-action giving more subscriptions for newsletter
- Rain session in India ! 410th Images Approved
- Uncovering the Secrets behind the Call to action that Convert
- To GIMP or to Photoshop, That is the Question
- 5 Bad Habits to Stop Now to Become a Better Photographer
- How to Write Product Descriptions that Stand Out – and SELL!