Urho Ghost Castle
Urho Ghost Castle is located in the Urho area, over 100 km northeast of Karamay City. Neighboring the Halahlat Mountain. Characteristic of aeolian landform rare in China, Urho Ghost Castle covers an area of about 30 square kilometers.
After years of wind erosion, hills here were effected into various figures, among which some look like the Liuhe Pagoda by the side of Qiantangjiang River in Hangzhou, some are like the Heaven Temple in Beijing, some like the pyramids of Egypt, some like the Angkor Wat of Cambodia and some like eagles spreading the wings and so on. At nights, strong wind blows sands flying about and stones rolling, thus making frightful and dreaded sounds, which make you feel scared. The native Mongolian people call it “Sulumuhak”, while the local Kazakh people name it “Shytirkrsi”, and both the two names have the same meaning ----Ghost Castle.
Beautiful pebbles that can be used as ornaments can be found everywhere in the Ghost City, what’s more, you can even find the crystal carnelian if you are fortunate.
Photo credits: Chenyun Fan.
- The killer on the cover -- reading into the clues
- Use a cooling off period for better submissions
- Summer Thunderstorms - The Water Cycle
- 10 tips to help you write a good blog
- Tip of the Week: Creating your own custom cards
- “You Should Frame That!” (How many photographs can a wall handle?)
- Punta Della Dogana, Venice: The Quiet Brother of the Proud Piazza San Marco
- How to shoot great portraits on location