The Valley of Temples
The Valley of Temples is an archaeological site which dates back to the ancient Greek period.
This enchanting place is considered one of the most important source of tourism for Sicily and since 1997 the Valley of Temple is in the UNESCO Heritage Site list.
The Valley comprises ruins of seven temples, all in Doric style:
The Temple of Juno
The Temple of Zeus Olympic was built in 480 BC to celebrate the city-state's victory over Carthage and finally, the Temple of Asclepius was the destination of wayfarers looking for healing from illness.
The Valley also includs the so called Tomb of Theron, a large tuff pyramid which was built to celebrate the Roman victims in the Second Punic war.
All the temples turn towards east - a standard criteria for both Greek and Roman temples - so that the statue of the god would be illuminated by the rising sun. We can only imagine how beautiful this valley was when it lived and the temples were all intact.
If you are in Sicily and happen to be close to Agrigento make sure to take some time to visit this charming site.
- How to Guide Clients toward Making the Best Design Choices
- Designing Business Cards that Get the Job Done
- Secret of Image Selection! Crossed 300 images
- What are calls-to-action for users in a site?
- How to make a football photo outside of the stadium
- How to Photograph Coffee for Instagram Posts - Pro Tips
- Creating Calls-to-Action that Work
- Tour of Slovenia in Lendava