In the past week I was able to visit the destruction zone around the Merapi Volcano in Central Java, Indonesia.
As a photographer, what struck me was the black and white world I encountered.
I enclose this image as an example. I haven't changed a single level - just all the colour (and life) has vanished from this village.
This house was 14km from the volcano. It was thought safe. In fact people from the 0-10km zone had been moved here for safety.
Then the area was hit by a pyroclastic flow - the most feared volcanic eruption in which a super hot gas clouds descends from the mountain with temperatures of up to 1000degrees. There is no escape.
Many thanks to Dreamstime for the fast approval on this and other images from the area.
Photo credits: OnAir2.
- Tip of the week. How to guide and direct your model during the photoshoot
- Stock Photography - Who buys Your Stock Images?
- Great changes to photography are happening as we speak
- Is pro photography going away??
- Hagia Sophia, Istanbul (Traveling Turkey Series - 1)
- Stock Photography - How to sell your images
- Alba Iulia Fortress - Romania
- You Don't Have To Be An Illustrator To Create a Composite