Catania city is located on the east coast of the island Sicily, at the foot of the active volcano Mount Etna.
The city of Catania, Sicily has an elephant coat of arms, part of the city's immemorial connection with this animal.
Remnants of dwarf elephants had been found in the Catana area. The ancient greek Heliodorus was credited with either riding a magic elephant or transforming himself into this animal.
Under arabs Catania was known as Medinat-Al-Fil (City of the Elephant). The symbol of the city is Fountain of the Elephant, assembled in its present form in 1736 by Giovanni Battista Vaccarini, but including a far older lavic elephant - considered to be a prehistorical sculpture reforged in the Byzantine Era.