The Amsterdam Old Church (Oude Kerk) has a long tradition of having excellent organs and organists. Even during the fifteenth century, an organ was hanging on the west wall (tower wall) of the nave. In 1539, the church acquired a new instrument that was played between 1577 and 1621 by a famous organist by the name of Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck. The large organ is constructed by Christiaan Vater (1724-1726) of Hannover and is restored by Johan Caspar Muller (the St Bavo-church in the city of Haarlem, NH). Shortly after the completion of the organ the church-tower began to sink (1738-1742).