The temple was begun under Titus and completed by Domitian was mentioned for the first time in 87 ancient sources.rnThe dedication original refers only to Vespasian, although its completion has taken place after the death of his son and successor Titus, who was deified as well divus Titus.rnThe inscription, now partly lost, was copied in full in the eighth century by the pilgrim said \anonymous Einsiedeln\ and refers to a restoration of the Severan era (between 200 and 205): DIVO VESPASIANO AVUGVUSTO SPQR · IMPP. CAESS. SEVERVS ET ANTONINVS FELICES PII AVGG. RESTITVER. The Severian restoration had to be rather limited, since most of the surviving elements date back flavia front.rnA new restoration, quoted by the sources, took place at the time of Caracalla, was later also dedicated to Tito and reached its final look only at the time of Domitian.rnFrom a view of Domenico Ghirlandaio, one can recognize that at the start of the sixteenth century the building was kept in conditions similar to the present, with only three columns the right angle of the facade still standing. [Citation needed] In the nineteenth century the gradual silting had almost reached the capitals of the three columns remained, when excavations in 1811 under the direction of Valadier, they provided to release the remains of the building, allowing the recovery of fragments of the entablature, reassembled inside the tunnel Tabularium (accessible from the Capitoline Museums).

  • MR: NO
  • PR: NO
  • 0
  • 445
  • 0

Royalty Free Stock Photos: Roman Forum, rome, Temple of Vespasian

ID 27962618 © |

We accept all major credit cards from the United States.

More similar stock images of `Roman Forum, rome, Temple of Vespasian`

More images